3 Ways to teach kids healthy eating habits
1. Add fun to eating time and to recipes
Kids love to have fun and they love to play games. Be creative in cooking and serving healthy food.
- Draw faces and cartoons with vegetables and cut fruits. Make faces with cucumber slices, carrot pieces, beetroot, cherries and strawberries etc. Make them eat the eyes, the ears, the mouth and nose etc. Create a garden on their plate.
- What is your kid’s favorite cartoon character? Use this cartoon character to make your kid eat healthy food. Does your kid like Popeye? If so, making your little one eat spinach is going to be easy. If your child loves super heroes, tell them stories of how their favorite super heroes got their power and strength by eating fruits and vegetables. Tell them how they too become strong and destroy the villains.
- Act that they attain super power with each bite of healthy eating. Play games like treasure hunt, blindfold games and mazes etc. to make them eat healthy food. Arrange cut fruits on a table. Play a game of picking them with chop stick or tooth pick.
- Make vegetable and fruits puree Popsicle. Kids love Popsicle. You can also make colorful vegetable and fruit ice cubes. They can add these ice cubes in a glass of water and drink. Ice trays that have numbers, animal and cartoon pictures are a good choice.
Add vegetables and fruits to their favorite dishes.
2. Involve your kids in cooking and shopping
Are you going to the super market to buy groceries?
- Take your kids along. Let them pick the fruits and vegetables. Tell them the nutritive value of the fruits and vegetables that you buy. Enlighten them on the health benefits of them. It should not sound like preaching but it should be told as an interesting story.
- Let your kid help you in the kitchen. Let them do simple and safe works like peeling and grating etc. They will feel proud that they are eating food that they cooked.
- Set a color theme or other themes every day. Let your kid plan the menu to suit the theme of the day.
Giving such responsibility when they are young will help them in making healthy choices of food.
3. Make small changes in you and your home
Kids look upon their parents as role models when they are young. Set the right example for your child. What you eat is very important if you want to teach your child to eat healthily.
- Keep healthy snacks on the dining table, on their study table and other easily accessible places. Kids start to eat them involuntarily.
- If your kids are old enough to read, you can write down the health benefits and nutritive value of healthy foods on a paper and stick it on the refrigerator. You can also write the dangers of wrong foods and drinks and stick it nearby.